Sunday, October 18, 2009

Clay, paints, and a photoshoot

As a doctor of the nervous system I'll be interfacing with the system at the spine. We all know it is made up of a bunch of different bones and that these bones cannot be seen through the skin. As a student I have to get to know the bones by touch alone. So I practice with plastic models and real bone, real bone is way better to learn with cause the plastic feels all the same. I think it would be easier to develop X-ray glasses to look at the spine I work with rather than memorize which part of the plastic spine I have in my hands without looking. In my spinal anatomy class I was given a ball of clay and told to model it into a sacrum (the portion the tail bone is attached to). I'm not an artist but I think I did an alright job which is why you get to see a side by side shot of the plastic model next to my clay one. I've worked with clay before and that stuff wasn't really good. It was really sticky and more like working with caulking instead of clay. I can't really complain though because I'm going to Life Chiropractic College West and not Life Artists of the Spine College West. Regardless of the pseudo-clay I had to work with my wife was totally jealous that I was creating art. Funny thing is she was painting something way cooler than the clay model sacrum (and it will end up looking way better than my creation anyway). I love my wife. She's was also jealous of the coloring I've been doing for homework. Of course now after I write this it would seem I'm back in kindergarten all over again without the tasty paste. Fortunately the little nap stations have been upgraded to really nice furniture.


Part of being in Chiropractic school means I'll be practicing techniques on my fellow classmates before I help the general public. This means I have to get paired up with an intern who will be my doctor until he graduates nine months from now. I have to have a file open in case anything happens. I met with my intern for the first time last Wednesday after school. It was a long day (7am-7pm) for me. Part of the exam are X-rays. A full body one. I was wondering as I was dressing into the gown how many pictures they would take to get a full body exam and if I had any children after if they would be normal looking or have radical mutations. I don't remember how many shots they took but it was a lot. Thankfully when they took a shot of my pelvis they gave me a guard to protect myself with. It took every ounce of self restraint not to hold on tight to the led triangle and press it up against my groin to ward off any stray x-ray. I couldn't hold onto it cause my arms would get in the way of the picture. I'm looking forward to seeing those x-rays. After the films get developed and analyzed I'll get to go in for my first adjustment while being here at school and I am super excited for it. I'm still in one piece after all the pictures all my hair is where it should be and no weird growths. I'll have to wait a while to see if the triangle did its job right though. If it didn't I'm hoping for a three armed child with laser vision and the ability to regenerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment