Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Golf, Chiropractors, and measurments

I know I have been neglecting the blog for a couple of days but mid-terms are here and I've been studying. I don't feel super prepared (as this is my first test and I never feel prepared on the first one) but I'm hoping my biology degree will be of some use to me. I guess this is where the rubber meets the pavement so to speak. Also I should be getting my first adjustment by my intern tomorrow. I'm so looking forward to that. I can feel some stiffness in my spine that may be causing interference so I'll know tomorrow and get it fixed if it is.

Most doctors and business men seem to be drawn to the fascinating world of golf. I have my own set of clubs doing what they do best. Collecting dust in some storage space. We were talking today about good golfers and how they are like good chiropractors. Good golfers care about their score. A bad day for the pros is par (for me that is the game of the year award). They keep score to tell how well they are doing and if they are improving. I do have to state that while my score was not fantastic at least it was consistent, consistently just under double par. Now you know why the clubs are gathering dust. Good chiropractors should also take measurements and be able to show to their patients what is going on.

When we step on to that dreaded bathroom scale we aren't really surprised that our new holiday diet of eating three thanksgiving dinners in one sitting didn't result in the loss of five pounds. We can see that we failed to meet our goal. Likewise we can see we are losing weight when we curb the fourth and fifth slice of pie and exercise. When we have a chiropractor that uses subjective measurements, like giving us our weight by lifting us, we have to take his word we are losing weight. Of course their is a scary thing about taking measurements. All of a sudden we now become responsible for what we are doing. I'm not at the stage of my education where I know what tools to use to measure improvement and being able to clearly demonstrate it to my patients but I promise to do so when I have my own practice. It only seems fair that I demonstrate what I am doing is working. Not only is it fair but it allows the patient to get the help they truly need. If I can't help them with I problem I need to refer them to someone who can. Well off I go to take my first exam. I hear weeping after this particular professor's exams is not uncommon. It would explain the people in the fetal position lining the hallway near his office...

No comments:

Post a Comment