Thursday, October 15, 2009

Immunizations and such

Today we had quite the discussion, more like verbal warfare, over vaccinations particularly the H1N1 vaccine. I understand lots of people have differing opinions over vaccines. I for one am not getting the newest flu vaccine. I never have gotten the vaccine and I'll probably start getting them out of concern for my patients' well being when I go into practice. I can't be spreading the disease around to those how are susceptible now can I? While this choice of mine may put me in a minority among a minority (as far as I can tell many alternative health care providers oppose vaccines) it is a choice I feel to be a responsible one. Vaccines have done a lot of good. We have rid ourselves of detrimental and incapacitating diseases. In fact the only cure we currently have for rabies is the rabies vaccine itself. I think a lot of the controversy arise from a lack of in depth knowledge and out of context quotes.

I understand that there is a risk with vaccinations. I understand that disease, or in a very very very small chance, death may occur from getting a vaccination. I also know, if I recall correctly, that most deaths from vaccination actually are due to an allergic reaction to the media of the vaccine. I also understand that there are a whole slew of other conditions that may come from getting a vaccine. A very important thing I also know is that without vaccines we would still have many more diseases we would be competing with to survive. So to those who choose not to get vaccinated, including me for the newest flu shot, we owe those who do get the vaccines a thanks. Because those who take the vaccines help stop the spread of disease amongst the herd. So thanks for the herd immunity guys, I've got your back with some of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment